Maharashtra has always been amongst my favorite summer holiday destinations. The beauty of her lofty mountains and tradition and history has always intrigued me.
Some of my regular spots in Maharashtra are, The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in south Mumbai, also a popular tourist attraction. The Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus is a UNESCO world heritage site. This Terminal Designed by Frederick William Stevens was influenced from Victorian Italianate Gothic Revival architecture and traditional Mughal buildings, the station was built in 1887 in the Bori Bunder area of Mumbai to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. This terminus is one of the busiest railway terminals in the country. The beauty of this station gives you a glimpse of by-gone eras and their beauty.
Old Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus | Image Resource : wikimedia.org
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus View | Image Resource : travelokam.com
Inner Architecture of Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus | Image Resource : architecturaldigest.com
Frederick William Stevens who designed architecture of Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus | Image Resource : soaamace.blogspot.in
Second on the list would be Marine drive, another beautiful place to visit again in the city of Mumbai. Marine Drive is also known as the Queen’s Necklace because, if viewed at night from an elevated point anywhere along the drive, the street lights resemble a string of pearls in a necklace. Truly an amazing sight that you cannot afford to miss!
View of Marine Drive | Image Resource : topyaps.com
Marine drive Queen’s Necklace | Image Resource : flickr.com
Third on my list is The Ajanta, A perfect destination for art lovers. 29 rock-cut Buddhist cave monuments which is dated to the 2nd century BC The caves include paintings and sculptures described by the government Archaeological Survey of India as “the finest surviving examples of Indian art”, particularly painting which are masterpieces of Buddhist religious art, with figures of the Buddha and depictions of the beautiful and impressive Jataka tales . This is a place that one must visit during their trip.
The above mentioned ones are my personal favorite attractions in Maharashtra!
Marine Drive Morning | Image Resource : yexplore.travel.com
Southern Mumbai has been blessed with a boulevard which is regarded as a queen’s necklace and students like who love to explore places will find this place really interesting. Factually, it is a network of roads along the beach and is one of the busiest in the city, Mumbai. Some of the highlights of the drive are –
- The promenade parallel to the road from where the rising and the setting sun looks simply breathtakingIt specifically connects Nariman Point to Malabar Hill and Babulnath.
- Down the northern end is Chowpatty which is the most popular place for locals and for tourists.
- A little further is Walkeshwar which is considered as one of the richest neighborhood housing celebrities and other known people
- An art deco infrastructure near the coast which is rivaled only by the Miami of US.
- Superb hotels along the beach which cater to the distinguished people who like to stay in this locale
- The fantastic C shape which is formed by the natural bay makes it look pretty in the night when the night lights make it sparkle like a necklace.
- The least known detail about the Marine Drive is that it has an alternate name, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Road but this is seldom used as people recognize the place more with its prior name.
- The Chowpatty beach has some of the mouth watering beach food and various other entertaining rides to avail
Babulnath Temple Mumbai | Image Resource : kumbhmelatours.com
Malabar Hill Mumbai | Image Resource : panoramio.com
Known worldwide as the pride of Mumbai, people come to its coastal beaches and spend some of the memorable times. Dotted with palm trees, the wind in the evenings transport people to some distant lands, where people actually have some quality time with friends and family while enjoying the atmosphere.
The stretch of Marine Drive is a total of 4.3 kilometers where while at the one side is the natural beauty of the endless beach and on the other the hustle bustle of the passing cars. Since the roads are very functional, the Government has also sanctioned the resurfacing of the entire road. Built on reclaimed land, Marine Drive is an important place in the lives of the Mumbaikars.